Keywords: Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, A* search, PID controller
As a junior, I assembled and programmed an autonomous robot, as a part of multidisciplinary design project. The project was done in a team of 9, and I was the team leader. I contributed to the overall design of the system, and implemented the hardware control algorithms, such as a PID controller and wall alignment algorithm to make the robot move straight, and an algorithm that fetches obstacle-related data from IR sensors and transmits that data from the Arduino to the Raspberry Pi.
The main objective of this project is to assemble and program a robot, so that it is able to:
- autonomously explore and traverse an unknown area of dimensions
- 2.0m by 1.5m and walls 15cm high, avoiding obstacles along the way.
- plan and follow a fastest path from a starting point X to an ending point Y.
- transmit telemetry and receive control signals from mobile device.
Our video presentation was applauded for being one of the most creative. I put my creative writing skills to use and wrote a Pirates-themed story that communicated some of the technical details of the project. 😉
The robot was assembled using:
- battery pack for power
- gearmotor for the wheels
- 6 infrared sensors
- 1 ultrasonic sensor
- Arduino to control wheels and sensors
- Raspberry Pi to enable communication
- between Arduino and the PC which ran the algorithms